Thursday, March 29, 2012

Healthy Toddler Snacks: Fruit Leather



Wyatt's first remarks were "yum, cookies", I think he approved.

Fruit Leather

2 cups of fruit (strawberries, peach, apricot, mango - any kind of fruit)
1/4 cup of water
1/2 of a lemon
1/4 cup sugar or honey, optional

Measure your fruit, clean, and chop.  Place in a large saucepan, add water.  I used frozen fruit so I did not add water.


Bring to a simmer, cover the mixture and let it cook for 10-15 minutes on low heat.

Taste your fruit to determine if any additional sweetener is needed.  Sweeten to your preference, and add lemon juice (I don't add sweetener).  Continue to cook another 10-15 minutes, or until mixture begins to thicken.   Preheat your oven to 170ºF or lower if your oven will allow.


Pour the fruit mixture into a food processor or blender (you can use an immersion blender as well).

Line you baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking liner and pour the puree onto the sheet.



Bake for 6-8 hours.

 Alternate cooking options: in the sun on a hot day, or with a food dehydrator.  I think I may try using the dehydrator next time.



Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment